Thursday, August 18, 2011

Favorite Sailing Quotes

Technorati Profilehttp://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

Life is a voyage in which we choose neither vessel nor weather, but much can be done in the management of the sails and the guidance of the helm."

"I know that I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to reach my destination."

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made."
~Robert Rose

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
~Kenneth Grahame

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor."
~Oliver Wendel Holmes

"On life's vast ocean diversely we sail, reason the cord, but passion is the gale."
~Alexander Pope

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
~William Arthur Ward

"The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted life span, those days spent sailing."
~Ancient proverb

"The true peace of God begins a thousand miles from the nearest land."
~Joseph Conrad

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed in the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can reamin on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze."
~Richard Bode

No comments: