Friday, July 11, 2008

Unscrambling the Latest Microsoft "Upgrade" and ZoneAlarm

Technorati Profile

http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping

I use ZoneAlarm as a firewall. I pay for it, It's supposed to be better than the native Windows Firewall. On July 8th Microsoft upgrades my computer. When I go to use it again, via tethered cell phone to USB cable, it slows to a crawl, useless. I call Verizon, they don't have a clue. I shut down the Zonealarm, and speed picks up, and I implement Microsoft native firewall. Next time I start the machine, ZoneAlarm kicks in again, and I'm back to square one. This is not all as obvious as it seems. I've been having issues with PCTools Spyware doctor that will involve messing around in the registry. That's where I'm thinking the problem may lie.

Eventually I do the right thing. I go to the Zone Alarm website and discover that, low and behold, they know of the issue, and have a cure. Did ZoneAlarm bother to tell me via email??? Nooooo! Did Microsoft say anything??? Noooo! Bad service from both of them. How much productivity did the country lose over their inattention to customer service? Probably a million man hours, easily.

No comments: